So if you know me, you know that I have suffered from debilitating migraines for almost 30 years. For most of those years I would go months, sometimes even years, without having one. But in the last few years, they have become more prevalent. I started keeping track in 2017, and in that year I had 36 migraine days.
In 2018, I had 75.
When I have them, these aren’t “bad headaches”. These are crippling, blinding, nauseating things. I cannot have any lights on at all, to the point that I put on those little blindfolds you use to sleep. I have no sense of balance, I can’t stand the smell of anything, and sound seems amplified to 11. Imagine your worst hangover multiplied by 100, and imagine it lasting for four days on average. That’s pretty much what it’s like.
Twice last year, in November and December, I had to go to the emergency room. They gave me morphine which got rid of the pain, thankfully.
This year, I had to go to the ER on New Year’s Eve. Yep. They couldn’t give me morphine because of the meds I am on for the migraines (which obviously aren’t working), so they started with a bag of fluids. It was a mix of Reglan, high dose Benadryl, and Magnesium. After the first bag was done, I wasn’t feeling any better, so they gave me a second bag, and a dose of Ketamine.
I still hurt, but the Ketamine made me care a lot less about it! I was finally discharged at 10 p.m. and headed home, in bed by 10:30.
Hope your New Year’s was more fun!
Every year, I have a goal to read 12 books. Real books, with pages you turn, not stuff online (although I read a lot of that as well). I ended up reading 17 books this year, and here’s the list.
1) The Walking Dead, Book Ten -Robert Kirkman (these are big volumes complied of several issues of the comics).
2) The Walking Dead, Book Eleven – Robert Kirkman
3) The Walking Dead, Book Twelve – Robert Kirkman
4) The Walking Dead, Book Thirteen – Robert Kirkman
5) The Walking Dead, Book Fourteen – Robert Kirkman
6) I Was a TV Horror Host – John Stanley
7) Between A Rock and a Hard Place – Hipsy Bohannon
8) Encyclopedia Of Mistresses – An Under-the-Covers Look at the “Other Women” of History’s Most Influential Men – Dawn B. Sova, Ph.D.
9) Zen In the Art Of Writing – Releasing the Creative Genius Within You – Ray Bradbury
10) Zero Waste Home: The Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Life by Reducing Your Waste – Bea Johnson
11) Extreme Couponing: Learn How To Be a Savvy Shopper and Save Money…One Coupon At a Time – Joni Meyer-Crothers with Beth Adelman
12) Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Home : No-Nonsense Advice That Will Inspire You to Clean Like the Dickens – Thelma Meyer
13) Brave – Rose McGowan
14) Dietland – Sarai Walker
15) Waste Free Kitchen Handbook: A Guide To Eating Well and Saving Money By Wasting Less Food – Dana Gunders
16) The Tightwad Gazette II: Promoting Thrift as a Viable Alternative Lifestyle – Amy Dacyczyn
17) Ecothrifty: Cheaper, Greener Choices For a Happier, Healthier Life – Deborah Niemann
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the books I’ve read.
Until next time, keep warm – it’s freezing over here!